Choosing a PC or laptop to play video games can be a complicated adventure. We share some keys to choose well and to enjoy the experience to the fullest.
Over time, the entertainment industry has been one of those that has been best able to reinvent itself and adapt to the demands of the public, incorporating innovations and modernising its offer along with new technologies. In this context, the video-games sector is, without a doubt, one of the ones that took its bet the furthest. Today, to look at the world of PC Gamers or gaming computers is to immerse yourself in a universe that will surprise you.
We propose a tour of the best computers for games and the best PC games in the market. There are options for all ages and pockets, but it is key to know what technical requirements are necessary to make the experience as pleasant as the manufacturer planned.
PC Gamers or consoles: two ways to play.
For years, talking about video games was talking about consoles. First it was the Play Station, then the Nintendo and its consoles (and now Nintendo Switch) and later the Xbox.
By force of good releases, managed to reign in the universe of entertainment and displaced the PC for years, which was relegated to other activities such as work, surfing, studying, etc. But the divorce of computers and video games lasted just a few years, until the PCs returned with everything to give a dignified battle to surprise and love lovers of digital games.
So much so that there are many who today consider it the ideal entertainment format, well above specialized consoles. Is that the world of hardware underwent a big change between 2006 and 2012, due to the introduction of new more efficient architectures in terms of processors. Dual Core, Quad Core, i3, i5, i7 … The new PCs introduced exponential improvements in power, size and consumption, even making the hardware of the consoles tend to look more and more like a computer.
How to choose a computer for games?
If you are a fan of video games, whether action, adventure or online multiplayer role, and want to build or buy your first computer gamer, keep these keys in mind:
- The processor is key. It has to be very fast and support heavy programs. It should not be less than a dual core with a speed greater than 2.5GHz, and ideally, for an excellent performance, it is one of four cores. The third-generation Intel are excellent thanks to its TurboBoost function.
- The graphics card is very important: it is the one that displays the quality of the image of a game. For an acceptable performance, you can search for cards from 512MB, but the recommended is 1GB and up. The best computer gamers have up to 2GB in graphics cards.
- If you searched for a powerful graphics card you will also need a lot of RAM. External cards share a portion of this memory and use it to display the graphics. It is recommended from 6GB of memory onwards. With 8GB you will achieve excellent performance and, with 16GB, superior performance.
- It is also important that the PC Gamer has a good video card (internal or external: it can be nvidia or geforce); and a good sound plate.
- Screen: most are already HD 720p, but a Full HD would be better.
- Wide hard disk, since the games are usually very heavy.
- Portability: in the past, a laptop gamer was heavy and large. That changed: you can get some light and very thin.
- Ports: the gamer usually has many accessories for their games, from headphones with microphone, mouse, controls, etc. You will need to have several ports that integrate the new technologies in speed.
Advantages of playing on PC
- The games are cheaper, since you do not have to pay royalties to the companies that own the consoles.
- You can update and replace components whenever you want, and not when Microsoft or Sony decide.
- You can choose which graphic improvements to play with.
- The controls are cheaper and there are for all prices.
- Retrocompatibility: in general they accept all games, from 1980 until today. You have all the generations of games in a single device.
- Crowd of indie games. Very popular PC games have emerged thanks to small developers and the opening of the platform. Those who have more success, end up coming to console, like Minecraft or Limbo.
- A PC is for much more than playing. It’s like having a console on the computer. You save money.
The best games for PC
The amount of games for PC is huge. We tell you which are the best according to the experts:
Mass Effect: Andromeda
This videogame with which Bioware resumed the path of role and action games already has its patch 1.09 created to improve stability and facial animations. In this game, the adventure takes us to become a soldier who is part of an elite troop, and who is in charge of the mission of touring the Universe, looking for a new home to humanity in an unexplored galaxy. The hope of humanity is in our hands.
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Arriving at the eleventh installment of this saga of survival horror of Capcom, this great videogame that knew how to be the king of online games and games for PC has been reinvented and shows that it is still a classic with life.
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard has been designed as a return to the form that fell in love with gamers. Instead of the new blockbusters, the game offers an intimate horror with a well-focused reach and all the trimmings one would expect from a survival game. There are no trees of superfluous skills or meaningless search missions, only the tension that shakes the stomach to guide a relatively helpless character through a nightmare while awake.
This apocalyptic video game for PC transports us to the year 2287. The Third World War broke out in 2077 and the world was completely devastated by nuclear bombs. In the middle of the ruins of civilization, the protagonist manages to escape from an underground bunker and comes to the surface finding himself with a completely devastated Massachusetts. All the condiments of action movies are present in this game. Each gamer can configure their own history, managing the hundreds of missions as they prefer and creating a universe in which they can do whatever they want.
Quake Champions is an FPS (First Person Shooter, that is, a first-person shooter video game) exclusive to the computer with which its developers “id Software” and “Bethesda Softworks” two great PC games, try to return to the essence of this saga, but incorporating new elements.
Unlike what happens with other video games, Quake Champions has been designed exclusively for PC. From the firm “id Software” they explain that one of the main reasons for this decision has to do with the technical limitations that the game would have to face if it were also developed for consoles.
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War 3
Continuing with the story of Gabriel Angelos, head of the Space Marines group known as the Blood Ravens, Dawn of War III focuses on the search for an artifact of the god Eldar Khaine. We can choose between the classic races of Orks, Eldar or Space Marines, seeing each of their perspectives and understand why an interplanetary war is worthwhile.
Matches begin with a lot of momentum and expand rapidly before settling on a smooth balance during long stretches that no doubt keep players trapped. The careful control of the elite warriors in the front line is essential, so it is necessary to constantly nourish their base and improve the upgrades for the armies.
This is a special game for lovers of the most comprehensive gaming interaction experiences, where you must control what happens in real time plus what will come in the future and choose the best options for each case.